Hero of the week / International Diabetes Federation



Boas pedaladas,

É com enorme prazer que divulgo o Projecto blue O, novamente, internacionalizado mas desta vez no site da International Diabetes Federation.

A história:

My name is Carlos and I am Portuguese. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 17 years ago.

I had experienced all the common symptoms: increased hunger, insatiable thirst, uncontrollable urination. I immediately visited my endocrinologist and I can remember listening to all the explanations he gave to me and my parents. It was a very emotional moment.

I started cycling at a very young age and today, (despite having to travel a lot around Europe for my work - not anymore), I practice many sports: squash, running, trail-walking, swimming. I truly have an active life!

In 2009 I started the blue O Project to raise awareness of diabetes through mountain-biking. I chose the name because blue is the colour of diabetes and O is the circle of the World Diabetes Day logo.

In the first year I was the only supporter of my project and blog - www.omeubtttemdiabetes.blogspot.com - but I continued writing and now I’m happy to have many supporters who have diabetes just like me and enjoy cycling. People from all over Portugal have joined my project because they or someone they know has diabetes.

I am proud that my initiative has become an inspiration to other people with diabetes.

Happy cycling to everyone!
casf

4 comentários:

  1. Parabens Carlos
    pelo esforço e dedicação pela divulgação desta doença que infelizmente está maior
    um bem haja para ti.
    Reginaldo Ferreira

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Reginaldo,
    É um facto a evolução da doença mas cá estamos para lhe tratar da saúde e como bem sabes ajudar a controlar com as bikes...
    Pedaladas boas,
    casf

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Ora viva,
    Aproveito este espaço para te agradecer os conselhos que me deste sobre a minha nova Canyon durante os breves momentos em que pedalamos juntos no Fundão, até ao primeiro posto de abastecimento, obrigado.
    E claro, para te dar os parabéns pelo projecto e por este reconhecimento internacional.

    Ricardo Pereira

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Um grande abraço Ricardo,
    Obrigado pelas palavras de incentivo.
    Pedaladas boas e de CANYON,
    casf

    ResponderEliminar